ravioliwonton’s Film Reviews
10 Films have been rated or reviewed by ravioliwonton.
- Dorian Gray (2009)
- Horse manure. How do you turn a brilliant story by a genius like Oscar Wilde into a third–rate gothic horror film? Apparently by butchering about two–thirds of Lord Henry\'s gems and adding a whole lot of sex and horror that is not in the book.
- Forbidden Lie$ (Forbidden Lies) (2007)
- Brilliant. An insatiably curious and perverse director who has the nerve to follow this hugely morally ambivalent portrait of a Balzacian tycoon to its inexhaustible end without praise or blame. A truly mature film that respects your intelligence.
- Namesake, The (2006)
- Cliche alert! Skip Namesake, see Ae Fond Kiss (Ken Loach) instead, for those who like their "immigrant experience" without lashings of saccharine melodrama.
- Before the Rain (1995)
- haunting, with possibly one of the most gorgeous soundtracks ever made.
- Inception (2010)
- Well the main review says it all doesn't it? "Tick the box" action flick, that tries so hard to be more than the sum of its parts, but ends up no more than just that.
- Crash (2005)
- ambitious and incisive, if slightly emotionally manipulative in places.
- Breach (2007)
- gripping, with superlative performances all around.
- Visitor, The (2007)
- One of those rare gems that creeps up on you slowly and steals your heart. In lesser hands, the intercultural elements would have been heavy–handed and cliched; this one manages to be intelligent and poignant.
- My Life As a Dog (1985)
- My (and Kurt Vonnegut's) all–time favourite film.
- Ae Fond Kiss (A Fond Kiss) (2004)
- Where most other cross–cultural romance tales fail miserably, this one soars.