Pearce’s Film Reviews
86 Films have been rated or reviewed by Pearce.
- Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
- This funny & subversive satire on media manipulation and product placement got a hostile reception from the entertainment press so out of proportion to the actual movie, I have to wonder if they struck too close to home.
- DVD $19.95
- Woman, The (2011)
- Extreme horror that attempts a faminist viewpoint but fumbles the execution. Good lead performances, awkward filmmaking.
- DVD $14.95 | Blu-Ray $19.95
- May (2002)
- An uneven effort redeemed by a spellbinding lead performance, this promised better things from the director and star that sadly never materialised.
- Jennifer's Body (2009)
- Striking and unconventional feminist horror movie that was received poorly by people who clearly expected something else.
- DVD $39.95 | Blu-Ray $49.95
- Sucker Punch (2011)
- What happens with an action director with nothing much on their mind decides they're an auteur and makes a personal indulgence? I guess this.
- Dawn of the Dead (Zombies, Dawn of the Dead) (1979)
- This global pandemic sucks, let's go live at the mall.
- Lair of the White Worm (1988)
- Common wisdom says that a film adaptation of a novel never improves on its source. Here's a big exception, an outrageously inventive movie based on an extremely dull book.
- Whisperer in Darkness, The (2011)
- The switch from their superior, silent Call of Cthulhu to this sound movie reveals the limitations of the amateur actors involved. The addition to the climax was a bad idea. Good effort though.
- Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)
- Great period detail including digitally adding cigarette burns to make it look like a 35mm print, fine performances (especially from young Lulu Wilson), probably the best officially licensed movie based on a board game to date.
- Under the Silver Lake (2018)
- Some movies are mysteries. This one is a code cracker. If you solve the t–shirt with the circles on it at the start, you're on your way.
- DVD $24.95